With the legalization of marijuana in many U.S. states and the overall prevalence of drug use in many communities, it can seem as if substance abuse is becoming a national norm. At the Prevention Coalition, we’re fighting that sense of complacency. We believe that every child and young adult deserves the opportunity to make a fully educated decision on drug use.
The Prevention Coalition was founded by a group of retired school counselors and therapists to provide an accessible drug use and abuse prevention resource for parents, teachers, counselors and other concerned adults. We’ve seen the effects of drug use and abuse in teens first-hand, and we understand the difficulties young people and their loved ones faces when drug use becomes an issue. We believe that education is the first step toward guiding young people to make informed decisions, and we’ve compiled trustworthy resources from across the Internet to provide an accessible and comprehensive guide to that information.
We’ve worked with teens for whom “harmless” experimenting turned into an addiction with serious social, health, and sometimes legal consequences. We believe that some of these teens may have reconsidered drug use had they fully understood the effects of various chemicals on the brain. We know that young adults have the agency to make their own decisions concerning drug use, and we passionately believe that all young people should be educated on the real facts of drug use and abuse before the opportunity to use ever arises.
We work with a team of paid market research experts and have scoured the web for the best knowledge-bases of anti-drug education and organized them on the Prevention Coalition site to help parents, educators and other anti-drug allies find the best resources for themselves and the young people they care about. On our site, you’ll find:
- A list of commonly abused legal and illegal substances, their effects on the body and common signs of abuse
- Up-to-date and comprehensive statistics to give parents and educators an understanding of the big picture of teen drug use
- Tips on discussing drug use with teens
- Anti-drug lesson tips and lesson plan resources for educators
- Information on creating school-sponsored drug abuse prevention programs
- Information on creating drug-free community coalitions
- A section for teens and young adults, explaining the social and legal consequences of drug use and abuse
We hope you’ll find our site helpful and educational. For questions or feedback, please contact us at [email protected].